Millers Point is a neighbouring Suburb of Walsh Bay located on the north-western edge of the Sydney central business district, adjacent to Walsh Bay, Dawes Point and The Rocks.
The Barangaroo development is taking place on 22 hectares of land on the western side of Millers Point.
A small mill consisting of three windmills owned by Jack Leighton was located here. The area became known as Jack, the Miller's Point.
In May 1835 a single storey sandstone building with two rooms that could be opened into one was completed as a school that doubled as a place of worship. St Brigid's Millers Point is the oldest existing place of Catholic worship in Australia. The school closed in 1992 but the church continues to be used by the local community.
The current Sydney Observatory building on Observatory Hill was completed in 1858. Three pubs in the area are amongst the oldest in Sydney, the Hero of Waterloo, the Lord Nelson and the Palisade.
Millers Point has many heritage-listed buildings. The following are just a small selection.
- Garrison Church and Church Hall,Argyle Place
- Argyle Cut and Argyle Street Space
- Georgian Warehouse,2-4 Jenkins Street
- Richmond Villa,Kent Street
- Glover cottages,Kent Street
- Lord Nelson Hotel, Kent Street
- Agar Steps and houses
- National Trust Centre, including S.H. Ervin Gallery
- The Observatory, Observatory Hill
- Carlson Terrace, Kent Street (state heritage listing) The Palisade Hotel
For more on Millers Point visit the Dictionary of Sydney.